Thursday, September 27, 2012

Swirly Baked Apples

This not an apple dumpling, but it still makes me think of the Apple Dumpling Gang. As a kid, I had no idea what an apple dumpling was, so when we watched the classic Disney movie about a rambunctious group of orphans and an old mine shaft, I think in the back of my mind baked apples were closer to what I imagined the gang was named after. I should see if I can find that movie. I'm sure it would be hilarious to watch it again now that I am an adult.

These baked apples are especially fun because of the swirly peel. I still had some Jonagold apples left over from the orchard we visited, so that is what I used. And since Jonagold apples have a light, multicolored peel, by the time they baked, the pretty swirl disappeared, as you can see in the picture below (or not see, I should say!). The original recipe calls for Rome Beauty apples, which usually have a deep red peel and are good for baking. If you really want the swirl to show through, I would recommend using them or something like them.

And I have to mention that I might prefer these baked apples over apple crisp, and yes, even apple pie. I like less topping and less crust when it comes to apple desserts, and the ratio with these was just perfect for me. Sigh, I wish I had another one right now...


Swirlly Baked Apples
Makes 5

3/4 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 medium apples, with skin peeled in a spiral
1 cup apple juice or water
cinnamon, for serving
caramel, for serving

1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and butter and stir to combine. Set aside.

2. Using a melon baller or a small knife and a spoon, carefully scoop out the core of the apples from the top and discard the core. Make sure not to scoop through the bottom of the apple. Make the hole inside the apple a little larger, and add any apple pieces you remove to the brown sugar-butter mixture.

3. When you have cored all the apples, stir the filling mixture again, then divide the mixture between the apples.

4. Place the apples in a baking dish and pour in the apple juice or the water. The apples should be sitting in about 1/2 inch of liquid. Cover the dish with foil, then bake in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes. The apples should be soft, but not mushy. Dust with cinnamon or drizzle with caramel and serve warm. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart

1 comment:

  1. I like apple pie better. :) But these are easier to make and do taste delicious!!

    I made your apple chips again last night with my last two Nebraska city apples. They were really good!

    ReplyDelete