Monday, October 1, 2012

Main Course Monday: Egg Noodles with Brussels Sprouts

One vegetable that I am truly fascinated by is Brussels sprouts. Have you ever seen what they look like attached to the stalk? Trust me. Go google Brussels sprouts and click on images. They really are amazing.

I was wanting something green to eat the other night, and since my husband won't really eat peas or beans (sad, I know), and I am a little tired of broccoli, I ended up coming home from the store with a bag of Brussels sprouts. The first time I ever ate these funny little green orbs wasn't until I was in college. They just weren't something we had growing up, not that I would have minded. This pasta dish is what I like to call a "light" pasta, because it's not completely covered in sauce, and because of that, it made a wonderful light lunch.


Egg Noodles with Brussels Sprouts and Pine Nuts
Serves 4

1/2 lb. dried egg noodles
3/4 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed
4 oz. white mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons pine nuts
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese

*Try adding thinly sliced ham or green onions for something a little different.

1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles until al dente, and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.

2. While the noodles are cooking, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts and cut the mushrooms into thin sticks. Set aside.

3. In a large skillet, heat the butter and the olive oil over medium heat until the foam subsides. Add in the pine nuts and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the nuts are toasted and golden. Add the Brussels sprout pieces and the mushrooms. Increase the heat to medium-high. Season with the garlic powder, and plenty of salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender and browned, about another 4 minutes.

4. When the vegetables are tender, add the noodles to the skillet along with the 1/2 cup of leftover water. Stir to combine. Remove from heat when the water has evaporated. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from epicurious, originally from Gourmet, 2007 by Maggie Ruggiero

No comments:

Post a Comment