Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Double Chocolate Muffins

November is here! And I was a little shocked to discover that snow came with it this afternoon. Last year it was snowing in October, and I am thankful that winter held off as long as it has for us this year. There really is something special about the first snowfall, however. It always makes me wish that my day was free to sit with a cup of tea and a book next to the fireplace and to occasionally glance out the window and watch the sky hurl giant snowflakes down at the earth. Maybe someday!

And while sitting by the fireplace drinking tea, I would also eat one of these Double Chocolate Muffins. I am always drawn to chocolate muffins but rarely buy them. I just can't eat sweet things for breakfast. They were fun to make and even though they aren't my first pick for a breakfast muffin, they make wonderful snacks any time during the day. As soon as they were gone, I immediately started planning on when I was going to make them again. They will definitely make an appearance when Christmas rolls around. These muffins would travel well, so I'm planning on bringing them to my parents' and my in-law's when we visit for the holidays. I can't wait!    



Double Chocolate Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 /3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 12-muffin pan or line with paper liners.

Melt and cool the 2 oz of chocolate. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, milk and vanilla.

Beat the butter in a large bowl until creamy, about 30 seconds. Gradually add the brown sugar and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in the egg.

Next, beat in the chocolate just until blended. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk mixture in 2 parts. Beat on low speed or stir with a rubber spatula until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in 1 or 2 of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes in the pan, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!

 Source: Adapted from Joy of Cooking (2006)

1 comment:

  1. And now... Sauces!! Your fans have spoken! :)

    ReplyDelete