Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

2012 is rapidly approaching an end, and I cannot believe it! Of course, I accidentally wrote 2007 on my time sheet at work the other day, so it is clear that I mentally have not caught up with the times. I remember once when we were little, my sister and I figured out what year we would graduate from high school. Kay's year was 2010, and I remember thinking that it was so far off we didn't even need to talk about it. And now 2010 was three years ago?! That just can't be right.

Hmm, as I'm writing this, I notice that I still have two pie pumpkins sitting around our apartment. Yes, it is true, I can't keep track of time. I know that Christmas is almost here, when gingerbread houses, candy canes, nativity sets, and snowflakes make their appearances, but since I went a little overboard with the pumpkins last month, they are cheerfully sitting among my Christmas decorations now. Orange is one of my favorite colors anyway and I actually think they fit right in. Maybe :)

So, all this to say, I am still stuck in pumpkin mode, for a little while longer at least. I made this pumpkin soup last week, and I think that a pumpkin cake of some sort might make an appearance by the weekend. Or maybe another batch of these cinnamon rolls. Mmmm. Yep, I just decided that they will for sure! 


Since there is only pumpkin in the dough and not the filling of these rolls, the pumpkin flavor is very light and it makes the rolls really moist. The extra spices added to the filling (especially the cloves) really make these rolls stand out as something special. The first time I made them was for a church fundraiser, and I ended up not even trying one of the several dozen I made! Turns out, bake sales don't take debit cards, and I forgot any form of money other than that. :) I've made them several times since then, and once with a pumpkin butter filling, but my favorite way is with the simple filling in the recipe below. 



Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Makes about 16 to 20 rolls

For the dough:
4 tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup milk, warmed to about 110°
2 ¼ teaspoons instant dry yeast
3 ½ cups flour, plus more for rolling the dough
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg, lightly beaten

For the filling:
2 to 4 tablespoons butter
¾ cup brown sugar
2 to 4 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ to ½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ teaspoon ground cloves

For the glaze:
2 ounces cream cheese
2 to 3 teaspoons half and half
2 or 3 drops vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, salt and spices. Whisk to combine then set aside.

2. Combine the warmed milk and the yeast and allow it to sit for 5 to 7 minutes.

3. Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients, and briefly stir to combine. Then add the milk mixture, the pumpkin, and the egg. Stir to combine with a wooden spoon. When all the ingredients have pulled together, transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes.

4. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and allow it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it has about doubled in size.

5. On a well-floured surface, lightly pat and roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the room temperature butter on the dough, then the brown sugar, the walnuts, cinnamon and cloves. Starting at the wide end, tightly roll the dough into a log and place it seam side down on the counter. Use a piece of thread to crisscross cut the rolls into about 1 1/2-inch sections. You could also use a sharp serrated knife to cut the rolls.

6. Place the rolls into the two buttered round or square cake pans. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 45 minute to 1 hour. While the rolls are rising, preheat the oven to 350°. Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with the glaze, if desired.

7. To make the glaze, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is very smooth and creamy. Add the half-and-half, the vanilla, and the powdered sugar. Mix slowly until the sugar is combined, then beat on high for several minutes until light and fluffy. Enjoy! 

Recipe Adapted from smitten kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment