Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cinnamon Raisin Waffles

I like waffles because they're crunchy. That also happens to be the exact reason why my husband does not like waffles- they're crunchy.

We had a snow day today. Sometimes its fun being a teacher because no matter how old I get, I can still enjoy the snow days when school is unexpectedly canceled. Now if I can just manage not to think about all we have to get done in class...

In honor of this snow day, I decided to make waffles. They are really only a special occasion food around our place, so a snow day is a great day to make waffles.

I was in the mood for something a little different than the typical waffle, and this is what I came up with. It's one of those recipes where I combined two or three different recipes all into one to make my own. I do that a lot, which makes it hard to recreate recipes sometimes, unless I manage to write them down or blog about them.

These waffles were delightful. They were very crunchy and flavorful, and went along wonderfully with a little peanut butter and some Nutella. I am a yogurt-on-waffles kind of girl, but since we are snowed in and I am out of yogurt, we went the maple syrup route instead this morning.





Cinnamon Raisin Waffles

1 3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon


1. Turn on your waffle iron and allow it to preheat while you make the batter. 

2. In a glass measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the milk and the vinegar. Stir once, then set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until light. Add the soured milk, the melted butter, and the vanilla. Whisk to combine then set aside. 

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and the raisins. Mix together until the ingredients are fully incorporated, making sure that the raisins to not clump together. 

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once. Stir gently to combine until there are no dry streaks remaining. 

5. Pour a scope of the batter onto the hot waffle iron. Cook according to you waffle iron. Serve with fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, and maple syrup. Enjoy! 

*If you do not want to use the whole wheat flour, just substitute it for regular all-purpose flour. The milk and vinegar could also be substituted for buttermilk. It's up to you! 

Recipe mostly adapted from Betty Crocker

1 comment:

  1. Most of my mostly memorable memories are of eating waffles. :)

    hahaha. I like the picture! And good for you documenting your recipe innovations. Your granddaughter will thank you someday.

    ReplyDelete