Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lavender Banana Bread

I have discovered something new! Lavender. I had to buy some earlier in the summer to make a blueberry/lavender/lemon cake, and even though I bought the smallest bag I could of the stuff, I still had quite a bit left over. Even just half an ounce of something like a dried flower bud goes quite a ways. Reminds me of the time my mom bought a whole pound of dried parsley from the food co-op... (I think she is probably still using that same parsley. We used to joke that she would never again need to buy parsley in her whole life! It's probably true.)


So, needless to say, I have been trying to find other ways to use lavender (and I'm always on a quest to find other uses for overripe bananas). It's funny how when you notice something it all of the sudden seems to be everywhere. Recipes for lavender tea, lavender ice cream, lavender infused lemonade, lavender cookies... I could go on and on.

After trying several different things with lavender, I have come to realize that something-- a little goes a long way. And it seems like the lavender flavor gets stronger over time. That is what happened with this banana bread. It was best the first day and so wonderfully floral and fragrant. I really like the combination of banana and lavender I decided. However, we couldn't eat the whole loaf on day one or two, and by day three, it was a little too floral for our liking, not that banana bread is the best after three days anyway.


Therefore, I cut back the lavender just a bit in the recipe I have for you here today. If you really like a strong lavender flavor, then I suggest using a full tablespoon in the glaze, as that is what the original recipe called for. Even though it made the loaf look great, I found myself taking the cute little flowers off the top when I was eating a piece.

Lavender Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf

2 Tablespoons dried lavender
6 Tablespoons butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 oz. plain yogurt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 ripe bananas

For the glaze:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon dried lavender

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a small sauce pan, heat the lavender over medium high heat for about one minute, or until you can start to smell the lavender. Then add in the butter. Stir occasionally for about two minutes and then remove from heat. Make sure you don't burn the butter. Strain the butter/lavender mixture to remove the lavender and allow the butter to cool. Set aside 1/2 teaspoon of the cooked lavender.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla. Add in the melted butter. Use the whisk to mash the bananas in a separate bowl, and then add the bananas to the wet ingredients along with the 1/2 teaspoon cooked lavender. Gently fold in the dry ingredients.

4. Move the batter to the loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. While the bread is baking, make the glaze. In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar and the water over medium heat. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the teapoon lavender and stir for about a minute, or until you can start to smell the lavender. Set aside until the bread is done.

5. The bread should be done when it is golden brown and a tooth pick or skewer inserted into the middle of the bread has crumbs on it but is not gooey. Allow the bread to cool for five minutes, and then use a pastry brush to add all of the glaze to the top of the bread. After about ten more minutes, move the bread to a cooling rack. Enjoy!

Adapted from Broma Bakery


No comments:

Post a Comment