Thursday, October 20, 2011

Fettuccine with Ham and Cream

I love it when I find a new recipe, then discover that I already have all the ingredients I need right in my kitchen! Most of the time, I plan meals around the things that I picked up on my previous outing to the grocery store. So, it was a pleasant discovery when I saw this pasta dish in my favorite pasta cookbook and realized that I would not have to make an extra trip or wait till the next time I bought groceries just to make this for dinner. (Plus, it is always better for my budget when I don't have to make extra trips!)   When you look at the ingredient and directions, you'll see that dinner could hardly be any simpler. 


Fettuccine with Ham and Cream
Serves 4

4 ounces prosciutto crudo or other unsmoked ham (raw or cooked)
1/4 cup butter
2 shallots, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
12 ounces fettuccine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and black ground pepper
fresh parsley sprig, to garnish (optional)

Cut the fat from the ham and chop both lean and fat parts separately into small squares.

Melt the butter in a medium frying pan and add the shallots and the squares of ham fat. Cook until golden. Add the lean ham, and cook for 2 minuted more. Season with black pepper. Stir in the cream and the oregano. Keep warm over low heat while the pasta is cooking.

Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, turn into a warmed serving dish and toss with the sauce. Stir in the cheese and serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of parsley.

Source: Pasta: Irresistible Recipes for Perfect Pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment