Saturday, October 15, 2011

Macaroni Souffle

I have an amazing cookbook dedicated all to pasta, and unfortunately, I have only used it a couple of times since I got it many years ago. I think this was one of the first cookbooks I owned when I was growing up. It is full of beautiful pictures and easy-to-follow directions. One of the things I love about it most is that it is cross cultural. Although it mostly covers Italian style pastas, it also includes different kinds of noodle dishes from Asian, African, and the good old United States.


I have only made a souffle once in my life. Really the only thing I remember about the souffle is that it was strange and didn't really turn out like the picture. I think I was probably 13 or 14. So this weekend, I decided that it was high time to try a souffle again! This recipe came from my pasta cookbook, and since I had everything on hand, I just went for it.  This souffle was a great Saturday lunch, and we will definitely be making it again.



Macaroni Souffle
Serves 3 to 4

3 ounces short cut macaroni
melted butter, to coat
3 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon ground paprika
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup Cheddar or Gruyere cheese, grated
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3 eggs, separated
salt and ground black pepper

Cook the macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water according to the instructions on the package. Drain well and set aside. Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Brush a 5-cup souffle dish with melted butter, then coat evenly with the bread crumbs. shaking out the excess from the pan.

Put the butter, paprika, flour and milk into a saucepan and slowly bring to boil, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick.

Simmer the sauce gently for 1 minute, then remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses until melted. Season well and mix with the cooked macaroni.

Beat in the egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and stir a quarter into the sauce mixture to lighten it slightly.

Using a large, metal spoon, carefully fold in the rest if the egg whites and transfer to the prepared souffle dish.

Bake in the center of the oven for about 40 to 45 minutes, until the souffle is risen and golden brown. The middle should wobble very slightly and the souffle should be lightly creamy inside.

Source: Pasta: Irresistible Recipes for Perfect Pasta (2001)

1 comment:

  1. :) Yep, I love that you found the hot pad wood thing and that it's in this picture!

    And that you were making souffle at age 13. Heheh. You are so cute! ~Franky

    ReplyDelete