Friday, May 18, 2012

Double Chocolate Biscotti

Someone once told me that Swedish people typically like to dunk something crunchy or hard, like a cookie, in their coffee. Now, I'm not really sure if that is true or not, but one thing I know for certain is that I have quite a bit of Swedish blood in me and I absolutely love dunking things in coffee or tea or just about any liquid that I am drinking. I don't even mind all the soggy crumbs that accumulate in the bottom of the mug. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I like the idea that I do things the way I do because my family members a hundred years ago did the same thing. It's kind of a neat connection. Maybe someday I'll have the chance to visit Sweden and find out first hand.

Anyway, if you also like dunking things, then I hope you have had the chance to make your own biscotti, and if not, then maybe today is your day! I think that biscotti is one of the easiest things to make, and I usually have all the things I need on hand, which is nice because I don't have to make any extra trips to the store. This double chocolate biscotti is a favorite of mine with coffee since it has such a dark chocolate flavor. I did not make mine with the hazelnuts. They do add an extra crunch, but the biscotti are still good without them. If you are feeling creative, it is really easy to dip the little biscotti in some melted chocolate or do a chocolate drizzle on top.




Double Chocolate Biscotti
Makes about 20

1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon super fine sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into rough pieces
3/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, skinned and roughly chopped (optional)
1 to 2 tablespoons water

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with baking paper or a baking mat.

2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, egg, and almond or vanilla extract together until pale and thick, about 30 seconds to 1 minute, using an electric hand mixer. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the water, with a metal spoon. Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture to form a dough. If the dough is very crumbly, add the water, a little at a time to help moisten and pull the dough together. Remove the dough from the bowl and gently knead it on a lightly floured surface for about 30 seconds. Form a dough log about 10 x 2 inches in size (see picture above. I made mine about two inches tall and ten inches long). Place on the prepared baking sheet.

3. Bake in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the dough is firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. When you remove the log, also turn your oven down to 275°.

4. When the dough is cold, use a serrated knife to cut the dough into about 20 slices about 1/4 inch thick.

5. Place the biscotti slices on a fresh baking sheet and bake them in the warm oven 30 to 40 minutes, turning once, until they are very dry. Remove the biscotti from the oven and let cool completely. Enjoy!

Adapted from: The Big Book of Chocolate by Jennifer Donovan.



No comments:

Post a Comment