Sunday, May 20, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes

I love berries, and let's face it- who doesn't? Strangely enough, however, the most common berry is probably my least favorite. And that is the strawberry, although, I think I am beginning to develop a new liking for them. Since it is spring, they have been on sale just about everywhere, and I have a tough time not buying the little boxes when everything else around them is more expensive and not as ripe. I have been experimenting with strawberries the last few weeks, and some of my new favorite recipes showcase strawberries as the star ingredient, which brings me to these cupcakes.

I wish I would have been keeping a log of the cupcakes I've made thus far in 2012. I actually think that I would hit around the 250 mark, and the year's not even half over! (and all during student teaching, I might add). I made almost 100 in one afternoon a few weeks ago. Needless to say, cupcakes are something I've really enjoyed experimenting with. This strawberry cupcake was the first time that I have ever put fresh fruit in a cupcake. More than once I felt like I was making muffins or something and I even called them muffins at least once. They are definitely cupcakes, however, and the texture of the cake is light with just the right amount of fruit and strawberry flavor. I brought them to a party, and they went over very well. I even had one lady tell me they were the best cupcakes that she had ever had! As a cook, that is always something I love to hear.

I made a simple vanilla butter cream frosting to go with these, but I really think several different things would pair with it nicely. If I made them again, I might even do just whipped cream. I have added the frosting recipe I used, but feel free to experiment or use your own favorite frosting recipe.




Strawberry Cupcakes
Makes about 34 to 36

For the cupcakes
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs plus 1 egg white
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 cup milk
2 cups finely chopped fresh strawberries

For the frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
dash salt
1/3 whipping cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Note: If you are using salted butter, reduce the salt to 1/2 teaspoon for the cupcakes.

1. For the cupcakes, begin by preheating the oven to 350°. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to blend and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs and the egg white one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the strawberry jam, and mix on low to combine. Then add the flour mixture in two additions alternating with the milk, all while continuing to mix on low and until just combined. Gently fold in the strawberries with a rubber spatula.

3. Fill the paper cupcake liners to about 3/4 full. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until the cupcakes are light golden on the top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Rotate the pans half way through baking. When the cupcakes are done, allow to cool in the pans for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

4. For the frosting, beat the butter for a few seconds until smooth in a large bowl. Add half of the powdered sugar, the salt, cream, and vanilla. Mix on low until incorporated, then add the rest of the powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes with the frosting once they are completely cool. Enjoy!

Cupcakes adapted from Annie's Eats Strawberry cupcakes, and frosting adapted from Hey There Cupcake! by Clare Crespo.

No comments:

Post a Comment