Friday, June 1, 2012

French Onion Soup


It's funny how so many of the foods that I really love to eat also connect with someone else I know. I think that is one thing that I love about food so much. It brings people together in ways that few other things can, and at least in my life, I tend to remember the people along with the food. Strange, perhaps, but I can't help it! For example, carrot cake makes me think of my Grandma Lillian. There happen to be two people that French Onion Soup makes me think of: my dad and his dad, my Grandpa Dale. Both of these guys really like this soup and the times I ate this soup while growing up, I was always with one of them. I wish so badly that I could be at home making this soup for both of them right now and I know they would love it just as much as I would.

I did have the chance to make it for my parents when they visited a few weeks ago. I made soup and sandwiches for lunch, and by the time they left, the pot was scooped completely clean! Which is fine with me, since this soup doesn't seem to reheat as well as most soups. It is best right when after you make it.






French Onion Soup
Makes 4-5 servings

2 tablespoons butter
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can beef consomme
3 to 4 cups beef broth
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 to 2 bay leaves
Slices French bread
4 to 5 slices good Swiss cheese

1. In a large stock pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat, until the butter is melted and the pan is hot. Add in the sliced onions and toss to completely cover in the oil and butter mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low and put a lid on the pot. Allow the onions to cook, covered, for ten to fifteen minutes. When this time has passed, remove the lid and gently stir the onions. Add the sugar to the onions and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized and golden, about 30 to 40 minutes.

2. When the onions are caramelized, increase the heat to medium and add the garlic. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the can of beef consomme (still condensed) and the beef broth. Next, add the thyme, and the bay leaf. Cook the soup over medium heat for 30 minutes. If the soup begins to boil, turn down the heat a little to maintain a simmer.

3. To serve the soup, there are two things you can do, depending on the dishes you have. If you have soup crocks, then fill them with the soup and top with one or two pieces of French bread, then a slice of swiss cheese. Put the crocks in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted and toasty. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.

If you do not have oven safe bowls, then you can put the slices of bread on a cookie sheet and top the bread with the cheese. Broil in the oven until the cheese is very melted, and then top bowls of the soup with one or two pieces. If you like crispier bread, I would recommend toasting the slices before you top them with cheese. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment