Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sourdough Biscuits

My dad called the other day and left me a voice mail that went something like this: "Hey, I have a recipe that I want you to try. Call me back. Bye." No more, no less. Well, I was intrigued, to say the least, and before I had the chance to call him back, he called again to tell me about these biscuits. He said he just wasn't sure about them, so he wanted me to try them first. So, like a good daughter, I went out the next morning and bought the ingredients because I didn't have them on hand. Funny thing is, he actually bought the stuff too and ended up making then before I did! I guess I wasn't the guinea pig baker after all, if ya know what I mean :)

As far as biscuits go, they were not what I was expecting at all, but they were fabulous! The Greek yogurt gives them a sour flavor, like a sourdough bread, which since sourdough is one of my most favorite things, I will definitely be making these again. I made them to go with sausage gravy, but I probably won't use them for that again. They are not crumbly like normal biscuits, but rather chewy and more bread-like, so they weren't the best at soaking up the gravy. They would be excellent with soup or in place of a dinner role as a side for a savory meal. Either way, if you are in need of a bread to add to your menu, and you're short on time, this would be what I would recommend. 




Sourdough Biscuits
Makes about 10

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups plain Greek yogurt

1. Preheat your oven to 450°. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and the salt and whisk together. Add the yogurt in all at once and stir to form a dough.

2. Turn the ball of dough out onto a floured surface. Lightly sprinkle the dough with flour, then pat down to about a half of an inch thick. Fold the dough in half, then pat out again. Do this twice.

3. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough until it is 1/2 inch thick a final time. Using a floured cookie cutter, cut out the biscuits and place on lightly greased pan. Combine the dough scraps and roll out again to cut more biscuits. Do this until the dough is all gone.

4. Bake in the oven for 10 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Allow them to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment