Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Another Cupcake Extravaganza

I never thought I would say that it wasn't that big of a deal to make 150 cupcakes. But that's how I feel, even after this past weekend when it's all said and done. My little brother Mark graduated from high school on Saturday and is already getting ready to move out on his own and go to school and all those other grown up things. I feel like he should still be twelve, and only because that's about how old he was when I moved out of my parents house.  



About a month ago, he called and left me a completely ridiculous voice mail, as if he really needed to butter me up and beg me to bake something for him. I would make or do anything for him. When he asked if I would make cupcakes for his graduation reception, I was already planning on helping out somehow, but I hadn't really thought of cupcakes until he suggested it.


Mark is so easygoing and fun to be around. I kept asking him what kind of cupcakes he wanted me to make, and he could only tell me to do whatever I wanted. After much prodding, I got him to say that he wanted something chocolate. Go figure. I ended up asking most of the other family members what they wanted and came up with Strawberry Cheesecakes for my mom, Strawberry Lemonade for Kay and Jonathan, Chocolate with Whipped Buttercream for Mark, and Boston Cream Pie for myself. The cupcakes were a big hit, as cupcakes usually are, and my only regret is that I didn't make more of the Boston Cream Pie cupcakes. Those will be made again soon. 


I have a great cupcake cookbook, but I ended up making cupcakes all from Annie's Eats, one of my most favorite go-to places when I need a recipe for anything. I mixed and matched her recipes for various cupcakes to come up with what I wanted. She really has great ideas and recipes when it comes to cupcakes and many other baking related things. I encourage you to check out her blog, because chances are, you will find something that you will want to make right away. 


I am so blessed to have a brother like Mark. He is smart and caring, as well as incredibly talented with building and making things. He is such a hard worker and is always ready to give a hug when I need one (and even when I don't). I am so excited to see all that he is going to do and I know that he is going to do so well. I'm sad he is moving three hours further away from me, instead of closer, but I suppose I'll figure out some way to manage. Love you Mark! 

1 comment:

  1. Funny story: Some version of "cupcake extravaganza" was what I had in mind for the title of my post about this weekend! But you beat me to it! :) Extravaganza is just about right, evidently!

    This was so fun, thanks for letting me tag along! let's do it again sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete