Friday, May 17, 2013

Cinnamon Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal

I have always liked oatmeal, but this whole idea of baking it is something relatively new to me. I was first introduced to the idea of baked oatmeal a couple years ago. I think the thing I like most about it is that you can do so many different things with it! Add fruit, like bananas, berries, apples, pears, or even dried fruit. Also add any kind on nuts you like, such as pecans, walnuts, almonds, etc. I found this recipe on one of the first blogs I ever started following, and when I made it again the other day I noticed that she got the recipe from a blog that I use constantly. Maybe the food blogging world is smaller than I realize. 

Experiment with this baked oatmeal to find a combination you like. I have to make mine with bananas and most typically make it as follows. There is something about the cinnamon chips, cranberries, and bananas that is simply wonderful. I have also had baked oatmeal that didn't have any add-ins, which made it more versatile for people that like to customize their own bowl. Sometimes I poor milk on mine and sometimes I eat it with yogurt. See what you can come up with or check out the blogs where I got the recipe to see what they did! 


Cinnamon Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal
Serves three to four

1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup slivered almonds or other nuts, lightly toasted, plus a few more for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 to 3 bananas, peeled and sliced into bite sized chunks
1/4 cup cinnamon chips
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional) 

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 2 quart baking dish and then set aside. 

2. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the maple syrup, milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk to combine. 

3. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. 

4. Layer the bananas in the baking dish, then spread the oat mixture over the top. Slowly pour the wet ingredients over the oats, making sure that all the oats are covered. Sprinkle the cinnamon chips, the extra nuts, and the dried cranberries over the top. 

5. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the oats are set and browned. Allow the baked oatmeal to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving with milk or yogurt. Enjoy! 

Adapted from Apple a Day, and Annie's Eats, originally from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment