Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Popovers

"Let the 4th annual Birthday Week celebration begin!"

I have been announcing this to myself all morning in a voice as much like Effie Trinket's from The Hunger Games as I can muster. Silently, of course, since I promised my husband that he could sleep in this morning. I have a bad history of accidentally and loudly waking him up on his one day a week to sleep in.

But back to Birthday Week, it is finally here! And what is it, you may ask? Well, my friend Frances that I talk about all the time, like here, has a birthday today, and since mine is next week, we always do a full week of celebration! And then our other good friend Hanna came along and we discovered that her birthday is just  the week after mine. Therefore, Birthday Week is actually a long celebration between August 25 and September 5. It happens every year. I am beginning to think that it is my favorite week of the year, and yes, my own birthday in between definitely helps. When I woke up this morning, it almost felt as good as Christmas morning!


To celebrate the start this year, we decided to have a pie party- as in pizza pie for supper, and all the pies you could eat for dessert! Since we each made one- a peach pie, a French silk pie, and a sour cream raisin pie-and there were only 5 of us for most of the evening, I figured that out to be about 4 to 5 pieces per person if you cut it into 8. Don't worry, we all didn't eat THAT much, although the average was probably close to 3.5 by the time 2 a.m. rolled around and everyone headed home. The slices did get smaller as the evening wore on, I believe.

I know at some point last night my husband announced that he was going to eat pie for breakfast this morning too, but even though that is his plan, I don't think he knows what I've been planning. Hanna gave me a popover pan last night! A real popover pan! Complete with 6 tall, deep wells perfect for making the perfect popovers! I can barely contain my excitement. It was such a perfect birthday gift. So naturally, I had to try out my new pan with an extravagant popover recipe this morning. I guess he can eat pie if he wants, but I am having a cinnamon roll popover.

Note: If you do not have a popover pan, then you can use a muffin tin instead. This recipe will probalby make 9 to 12 popovers in a muffin tin.



Cinnamon Roll Popovers
Makes 6

For the popover batter:
1 to 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup flour
dash salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
pinch nutmeg

For the cinnamon filling:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon

For the Cream Cheese Glaze (optional):
4 tablespoons butter, softened
4 tablespoons cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 to 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400° for at least 20 minutes. Divide the butter between the 6 wells and set the pan on a large rimmed cookie sheet. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl with a pour spout, combine the flour and the salt. Briefly whisk together to combine. In another bowl, whisk the eggs until they are completely mixed and light in color. Add the milk, vanilla, brown sugar, and the spices. Whisk to combine. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture all at once and whisk lightly.

3. In a small bowl, make the cinnamon filling by combining all the ingredients and stirring until smooth. Place the mixture in a small plastic bag, snip off one corner, and set aside.

4. Place the popover pan in the over for 4 minutes to preheat. When there is one minute left, gently stir the batter to get it ready. Pull the hot pan from the oven, and working quickly, divide the batter between the 6 cups, then squeeze a little cinnamon filling on the top of each until it is gone. Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes without opening the oven. Allow to cool slightly and serve immediately with the cream cheese glaze. Enjoy!

*To make the cream cheese glaze, combine the butter, cream cheese, cream, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes until very light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, mix on low speed for one minute, then beat on high for another minute until creamy and light.

Source: Recipe adapted from Doughmesstic.



No comments:

Post a Comment