Monday, August 13, 2012

Non-alcoholic Mint Mojitos

Last week I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted some fresh basil and mint. I said of course, and was shocked when she brought over two huge bags of each! I have had no problem using the basil in a million different things, but I was a little stumped with what I should do with so much mint. I spent quite a bit of time looking up recipes, and since my husband does not like lamb in any form and that's the pairing I mostly found for the mint, I decided to stick to the beverage world. If anyone has other suggestions for great things to do with fresh mint I would love to hear them!

Limes were on sale when I went to the store and thanks to a friend's suggestion, I decided on Mint Mojitos, the non-alcoholic kind, of course. An afternoon with a great friend making homemade marshmallows and graham crackers was the perfect time to try them out, and they really were spectacular. I also made them for the whole family this weekend, which ended my large mint supply. I am actually now wishing I had more mint so that I could make them again!


Mint Mojito
Makes 1

Crushed ice
8 mint leaves
3 oz. lime juice, about 1 lime
1 1/2 oz. simple syrup*, or more
2-4 oz. club soda, or more
More mint or lime slices, for garnish

1. Fill a glass 1/3 of the way with ice, then add the mint leaves on top.

2. Add the lime juice and the simple syrup. Using a wooden spoon, lightly crush the mint leaves, being careful not to tear them.

3. Fill the glass with more ice, then add the club soda to the top. Depending on the limes and your personal preference, you may want to add a little more simple syrup or club soda.

4. Garnish with a few more mint leaves or lime slices and enjoy!

*To make a simple syrup, heat equal parts sugar and water in a sauce pan just until the sugar has dissolved. You can store any leftover syrup in the fridge. I usually use at least 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water.





2 comments:

  1. I love your blog. :)

    I am astonished though that you passed up the chance to use "muddled"... I bet you are just trying to be down to earth though.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thanks :)

      and yes, I did think about it. Maybe I'll update the recipe and add it in ;)

      Delete