Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Day at the Farm

It's not very often that I get to go home by myself these days. My husband and I always visit together, but when the opportunity presented itself for a trip home and he couldn't go because of school and work, well, I decided that a trek across the state would be good for me.

I love the city and sometimes I forget exactly what it is like to be so far from large numbers of people and the chaos and noise of the city. It is great being 20 minutes from a grocery store and an hour from the closest Walmart. I love the quiet during all times of the day and what the stars look like at night.

I travel everywhere with my camera these days, so I decided to share some snap shots from the farm. My older sister spent at a day at the farm too, so she sent me some tomato pictures that she took also.


My Grandparents live on the same farm as my parents, just a couple stone throws down the road. I went on a walk early one morning before everyone else was awake, so the sun was up and shining, and everything was more calm and still than it usually is, if that is even possible.


The rising sun peeped through the corn and created amazing shadows on everything. This year the corn is especially dry because there has been so little rain. Some farmers in the area were already busy with harvest even though it is still early. 


I love how the sign in the window seems to apply to my Dad's old Dodge work pickup. It is starting to fall apart, and I think Dad is concerned that it might not last him much longer, even though it is really only used to drive the 4 miles back and forth to work. The tag is from his work, but it seems like a good place for it, all things considered. However, it's not nearly as old as the antique 1930s International pickup parked across the driveway, pictured below. My great-grandpa bought that pickup in 1938 and used it clear until the 60s. 


Our Saturday was full, and if you look at the two pictures below you'll see why. My parents had a fantastic garden this year, even though it has been so dry. Between the salsa and the spaghetti sauce, we canned a little over 100 tomatoes, and my parents canned some more during the next week. These tomatoes were more beautiful than any I can ever remember.    



We've had a pear tree all my life, and last year was the first time that it actually produced pears! This year looks like they will have quite a few too. They almost look like apples because they are so red, but they definitely have that unique pear shape. 


After this last trip home, I left feeling especially blessed and incredibly thankful for all that God has given me and for the things that he has done in my life. As I was putting this post together a verse kept going through my head, and I have shared it below. I hope you have the opportunity to open your eyes this fall to all that is around you and see the great things that God has done! 

For you make me glad by your deeds, LORD;

    I sing for joy at what your hands have done.

How great are your works, LORD,

    how profound your thoughts!

Psalm 92:4-5 


Thanks to AmandaJean Photos for some of the canning and tomato pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment