Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Homemade Plain Yogurt

One day when we were living at the red house, my roommate Hanna announced that she was going to make yogurt. I really did not know that homemade yogurt was even possible. I kind of thought she was a little crazy. Turns out, lots of people know about it and it is a pretty normal thing to do. Go figure. About a year after that, I began seeing recipes on other food blogs I like to read, like Annie's Eats. After several trial and error attempts, which included losing a yogurt maker somewhere between UPS and that same red house, my friend has perfected her yogurt making recipe and I have created my own using methods from both Hanna and Annie's Eats.

This yogurt is really tart unsweetened yogurt. If you are the kind of person that likes all those cream pie yogurts or fruit add-ins then you are going to have to doctor it up. It almost reminds me of sour cream and I have started making this yogurt to bake with more than just to eat. I do have a big container in the fridge that I sweetened up with some cinnamon and apples, but it works great as a substitute for sour cream or plain yogurt in lots of recipes.

I have yet to make yogurt with the dry powdered milk. I didn't have any on hand when I made it the first time, and I liked how it turned out so I haven't bothered to go buy some. I hear that the powdered milk makes the yogurt kind of creamier, although I can not say from my own experience.



Homemade Yogurt
Makes 1 to 1 1/2 quarts

For the yogurt:
2 quarts milk
2 teaspoons plain yogurt with live and active cultures, like Greek yogurt
1/4 cup dry powdered milk (optional)

Needed Equipment:
large glass microwave safe bowl
a candy thermometer
plastic wrap, or a lid for the bowl
2 dish towels
a warm oven
mesh strainer
cheese cloth, coffee filters, or paper towels

On the stove:
In a large sauce pan, heat the milk over medium to medium-high heat until it reaches 175° to 185° stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the milk to cool to 110° to 115°, stirring occasionally. When it has cooled to the desired temperature, transfer the milk to a large bowl.

OR

In the microwave:
In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the milk in 5 minute increments until it reaches 175° to 185°. Remove the bowl from the microwave and allow it to cool to 110° to 115°, stirring occasionally.

2. When the milk has cooled to the specified temperature, add the 2 teaspoons yogurt and the dry powdered milk, if using. Stir gently to combine.

3. Preheat your oven for a minute to any temperature, then turn it off. The yogurt needs a warm place to be, which is why you heat the oven and then turn it off. Make sure you do in fact turn it off!

4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a tight fitting lid and then wrap the entire bowl with the two clean dish towels. Set the bowl in the warm oven and leave for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.

5. About half way through the waiting time, check your oven to make sure it is still warm. If it feels cool, turn it on again briefly so it is warm. Again, do not forget to turn it off. I usually do this right before I go to bed when I make it overnight.

6. After the 12 hours or in the morning when the yogurt has set, you will need to strain it. Cover the mesh strainer with two layers of cheese cloth, a coffee filter, or a paper towel and strain the yogurt to remove the access liquid. The longer you strain it, the thicker the yogurt will be. I usually strain mine for about 20 to 30 minutes, and I have to do it in stages because my strainer is small. Put the strained yogurt in a container with a lid and store in the fridge. Enjoy!

Recipe adapted from both Hanna White and Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment