Monday, September 10, 2012

Main Course Monday: Magnificent Large Zucchini

A long time ago, a friend's mom asked for a zucchini recipe from me. I was overwhelmed and super excited to give it to her. This was because I don't think anyone had ever asked me for a recipe before in my life. It's not like I created the original recipe, but it was in a cookbook I owned. Plus, she was an adult asking me, a young teenage girl, for the recipe. Shouldn't she have been asking my mother?! I loved cooking and I loved the small collection of cookbooks that I had, and it was really encouraging for her to take notice of my young cooking interests.

Since that time, probably ten years ago, I have wanted to make that same recipe, from a cookbook I have written about before. I have never had the chance until now, mostly because I rarely have access to giant zucchini. I stopped at a favorite fruit and veggie stand the other day and they had a few. It was time.

The recipe calls for a 3 to 4 1/2 pound zucchini, and I ended up not getting one that large because I wasn't sure if just the two of us would ever eat it all! This meal would be great for feeding a group of people. I did have some leftover pasta filling that wouldn't fit in my zucchini boat, but it is good by itself. Maybe I'll end up stuffing some other vegetables with it, like tomatoes or peppers.

At this point in time, I do not have the means or space to grow my own garden, but someday I will. I think my future garden will have zucchini just so I can fill it with pasta.




Magnificent Large Zucchini
Makes 4 to 6 servings

9 oz. small pasta shapes, like shells or elbows
1/2 pound ground hamburger or sausage
3 to 4 1/2 pound large zucchini
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 to 4 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped*
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
salt and pepper, to taste
grated cheese, to serve

*Note: to easily remove the skin from the tomatoes, score the tomatoes on the bottom with a knife, then drop into the boiling pasta water for 20 to 30 seconds. Immediately remove the tomatoes to an ice water bath to stop them from cooking. The skins will easily pull off and then you can chop the tomatoes. 

1. Begin by cooking the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water until it is slightly more than "al dente" and soft. Drain well and set aside. Fry the hamburger or sausage, drain, and set aside.

2. Cut the zucchini length-wise in half. Use a spoon to remove and discard the seeds. Then, using the same spoon or a small melon scoop, remove the flesh from the zucchini and set aside, being careful not to tear through the skin. Coarsely chop the zucchini flesh.

3. Using medium to medium-low heat, gently fry the onion, the bell pepper, and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften. Add the zucchini flesh, tomatoes, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through, stirring occasionally.

4. While the vegetables are cooking, place the zucchini halves in a large baking dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour a little water around the outside of the zucchini halves and cover the dish with foil. Bake for 15 minutes.   

5. Add the pasta, pine nuts, basil, ground ginger, and the hamburger to the cooked vegetables and stir gently to combine. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to fill the zucchini.

6. Remove the zucchini from the oven and drain the water. Fill the zucchini halves with the pasta mixture and top with shredded cheese. Cover again with foil and return to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with more cheese, if desired. Enjoy!

Adapted from Pasta: Irresistible Recipes for Perfect Pasta (2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment