Saturday, September 8, 2012

Lemonade Freeze

Ever since I made these Mint Mojitos, I have been quite creative in the kitchen with all sorts of summer drinks, including things like lemon-cucumber water, and fizzy mango punch, and fresh squeezed lemonade, to name a few. It's so easy to make a simple syrup and throw in some fresh lemon juice or other fresh fruit that most of the time I don't measure anything, which works out well since my husband typically likes things sweeter than I do. We can doctor up our own glass to taste and both be completely content. 

The other day as I was making some lemonade, he suggested that I blend in a bunch of ice to make it more like a slushy. We are truly kids at heart, and both of us have a strange adoration for slushies, so naturally I thought this was a brilliant idea. Usually when making lemonade, I add water and ice, but to make this lemonade freeze, I only added ice. It started out very tart, how I like it, but mellowed out as the drink melted a little. You might want to have some extra simple syrup ready in case your lemons are naturally more sour, depending on how you like your lemonade. 

I recommend using a blender, if you have one. However, I don't have a blender, so I used a large plastic pitcher and my immersion blender, which did the trick perfectly. 


Lemonade Freeze
Makes 3 to 4 servings

5 to 6 lemons, to make 3/4 cup juice
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
20 to 30 ice cubes
Lemon slices, to garnish

1. In a small sauce pan, combine the the sugar and the water. Heat for a few minutes just until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. You can put the sugar syrup in the fridge or the freezer to speed up the cooling process.

2. Fill a blender with the ice cubes. Pour the lemon juice and sugar syrup over the ice, and blend until the the mixture is smooth and slushy. Pour into glasses immediately and garnish with lemon slices. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment