Monday, September 3, 2012

Main Course Monday: Red Enchilada Sauce and Pork Enchiladas

As I have mentioned before, I really do hate when I find something to make for supper, and then discover that I am missing one ingredient. So when I decided to make Pulled Pork Enchiladas one night, I was very bummed when I realized that I did not have any enchilada sauce in my pantry. I had everything else, just not the sauce. Being the resourceful person that I am, I started looking up recipes and was thrilled to find out how easy it is to make this token spicy necessity for enchiladas! This is another one of those things that I can't believe I have waited so long to try.

Since then, I have discovered several people I know that make their own sauce, including recipes with a little bit of cocoa powder! I might have to try that sometime. If you are not going to use the sauce tight away, keep it in the fridge for a week or put it in the freezer.




Red Enchilada Sauce
Makes about 3 to 4 cups

For the enchilada sauce:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
dash cayenne pepper
2 8-oz. cans tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1. In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for about one minute while stirring with a whisk. Add in the rest of the seasonings and cook for about 30 seconds. 

2. Next, add in the broth and the tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the sauce thickens and is smooth. You can use the sauce right away or store it in the fridge or freezer until needed. 



Pork Enchiladas


Here is what I did to make enchiladas. They are so easy to make and you can experiment with all sorts of different fillings. 


To make pulled pork enchiladas:
flour tortillas
diced onion
pulled pork
shredded Mexican cheese
enchilada sauce

1. Saute the diced onions for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Fill tortillas with the pulled pork, onion, some shredded cheese, and 1 to 2 tablespoons of the sauce. 

2. Put 1/2 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a baking dish then place the enchiladas on top. Cover the top with the rest of the sauce and more shredded cheese. Cover the pan with foil.

3. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for 5 to 10 more minutes until the cheese on the top is melted and everything is thoroughly heated. Serve with cheese, sour cream, and fresh tomatoes. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment